Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Bluebird Lady

It is amazing what you can learn about a place when you get out of the car and walk around. During one of my recent photo-taking strolls in Middletown Park I saw this sign. I had no idea there was an organization dedicated to the Eastern Bluebird and I knew nothing about Betty Nichols.


This week I visited the website noted on the sign and learned that Middletown resident Betty Nichols was a member of this organization who established and maintained the trail of 10 nesting boxes in the park fifteen years ago. She died in 2003 and this year the Maryland Bluebird Society proposed that Frederick County honor her and her efforts by naming the trail for her.

The Frederick News Post and the Middletown Gazette ran stories about this a few weeks before the proposal was considered by the County. I assume from this sign the proposal passed.

1 comment:

Janet said...

What a good deed she did! Those bluebird boxes, placed in the right spots, really work.